Thursday, September 23, 2010

Modern Day Socrates

Ok so my dad is the modern day Socrates...he may be a closet Socrates but none the less. HES MY SOCRATES ANYWAY.  You know, always testing and questioning what I believe...

The pops has had quite a long journey to figure out what he truly believes in and I don't think he will ever stop asking questions.  He was very confused as a young lad and had to discover many things to find out what is really important to him. 
Now, whenever he has an important decision to make, he uses his own form of the scientific method...but lets call his the "salesman for God" method. Let me explain...
He would first consult God, because after many life experiences and not to mention his faith, God has proved Himself to be real in his own life.  Then after a prayer sesh, he would go about the decision making process much like a salesperson might.  He often shares his tactics with me, and they are quite helpful indeed.
As of late,  he has been trying this thing where he models himself off the Christian teaching of evangelism.  This requires him to maybe step out of his comfort zone and reach out to somebody in the work place...

But the tricky thing when the whole religion thing comes into play is that you can't just start asking people why they believe what they do and then proceed to say no, actually my religion is correct.  One has to start with a personal testimony, as my dad says, just to present the different idea of Christian beliefs so the person feels comfortable. So he knows what he believes and can share that with anyone, but at the same time respects and knows how it is questioning religion or a god in general.

He really gets my mind churning when he poses questions or occasionally will give me the inspirational book to read, it makes me wonder about the deep questions of purpose in my life...so he is my Socrates.

1 comment:

  1. I never knew this about your pops, I'd love to meet the guy. His way of solving problems is very interesting, definitely different than my own. I think it clearly shows all the life experience he has. He must be a pretty wise guy. And brave too. I don't know many people that would bring up religion or something so dear to them in a public, sometimes unsafe, place. But it sounds like your popsi does it completely respectfully, so pass on a high five to him from me.

    ReplyDelete