Sunday, October 24, 2010

How do I know what I know

     I know what I know from a multitude of sources.  My parents, my classrooms, my senses, books, and the internet have seduced my thinking.  These sources have presented facts that I have incorporated into my personal knowledge. 
     My parents had quite a lot of influence on me in my childhood, as one would assume.  I molded my way of thinking to be like theirs.  But as I grow up, I decide what things I really agree with that my parents have passed on and what I need to explore for myself a little bit more.  My dad especially influences what I think and know, and I am grateful that I have him, after all that is his job.
     The school system has also done a lot to educate this mind of mine.  I didn't question what I learned through grammar school but in high school it is a different story.  I think some required classes are pointless in the real world and some of the statements printed in textbooks I do not agree with.  But school did teach me many things, including how to hypothisize and test things out; they taught a method on discovering why and how you know things and why the subject should be known.
     I also know things from experience.  For example, you cannot touch hot objects without feeling pain and how my perception of love changes.  But then there are our resources like novels and computers that inspire and teach as well.  Beware of the false knowlegde in fantasy books or sites like wikipedia though...

3 comments:

  1. i like the points that you decided to touch i do feel like your initial source of knowledge is from your parents and that you should use ur insticts to block false information from like somewhere like wiki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we know things through a variety of ways. It's hard to say we can only know things from experience, but if we think we can know things through many ways, we can be much more certain about life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that our environment "seduces" our thinking, which is difference from just "forming" our thinking. The things surrounding us set our mind a certain way and it becomes difficult to change it.

    ReplyDelete