Sunday, November 21, 2010

Dear Cormac,

     Your poetic writing brought light to a very dismal plotline.  I enjoyed your novel The Road very much sir and I hope to read more of your works.  If I may ask, what got you thinking along the lines of post- epocalyptic?  Did certain people from your life influence the characters you chose for the novel?  Keeping the epocalyptic theme was a bold choice and gave you loads of freedom.  I will also say that this novel is very different from other novels of its kind by simple things, but these simple things made the book stand out.  The syntax and fluidness then choppy structure, all sylistic elements gave your novel an edge.  At least for me, it felt more personal and less depressing because I heard the characters' voices so strongly.  You do have a way with words.
     I am also curious about your background in poetry.  Being a poet myself, I suspect that you've had some background in it.  I would like to know who are inspirational poets that you admire, for I am always looking for new poets to get my hands on. 
     Also, the different characters with varying sences of hope that you brought into the father and son's journey all had specific meaning and I am still a little unclear with some of them.  I would just love to peek around inside your thoughts and notes while writing and editing this piece.  How long did the process take from start to finish?  I hope you are happy with reactions that you've been getting from the public regarding The Road and I await your upcoming books.

Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment